Sunday, October 22, 2006

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

What I love about David Mitchell's writing style is that you have to work to understand the pattern of his story. For this reason, his novels are not easy reads to start so if you are going to pick one up make sure you are ready to invest some time early on to figure out the puzzle of his prose .

Cloud Atlas weaves six narratives set over a number of centuries together. Each story is distinctly unique with some definitely being far more engaging than others. The novel is broken into two parts working through each story until the reader comes to understand how one story is linked to another.

I have also read Ghost Written and Number9Dream. I clearly remember being lost and frustrated when I first started Number9Dream but once I had the pattern down I was enthralled. Mitchell's latest novel Black Swan Green is on my to read list.

1 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger Rob said...

I've read Number9Dream and really enjoyed it. I bought Cloud Atlas but I couldn't get into it and ended up not finishing it.

I remember thinking at the time when I read Number9Dream that the style was similar to Haruki Murakami's books. You may want to out his stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home